I recently asked a bunch of Facebook friends for suggestions about where to donate used clothing — there aren't many places that pick up in my neighborhood (for reasons I still don't quite understand), and the local second-hand thrift store closed a few years ago.
In response, I got a bunch of excellent suggestions, and I thought it might not be a bad idea to list them for anyone else who has old clothing (or other goods) and wants to donate them.
Here they are, no particular order:
- The Salvation Army
- Scouting organizations
- Local hospices and shelters for the homeless
- Local churches, synagogues and mosques
- Housing Works
- Safe Horizon
- Vietnam Veterans of America
- Yelp search (type in "Donate Clothes")
- Long Island Big Brothers and Big Sisters
- United Jewish Council of the East Side
- Donation Town